Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

Thanksgiving is coming early to Indonesia. Karla and I wanted to do Thanksgiving dinner together for some of our colleagues, but we decided that it would be easiest to do it today. It has to be a collaboration because Karla has a beautiful home for entertaining, but she has no oven big enough for a turkey. Which means that our bird's fragrances are wafting through my apartment right now, and in a couple of hours we'll put it in the car and take in over to Joseph and Karla's.

Jakarta's grocery stores are not exactly friendly to Thanksgiving needs. We have a turkey and stuffing, but Karla and I found no pumpkin, and I went to four different grocery stores looking for Crisco for making pie crust. I couldn't find any, so I tried making the crust without it. I don't recommend it. It's probably the ugliest apple pie that I've ever made, but I'm hopeful that it'll taste good.

Difficulties aside, it's really nice to have some way to celebrate my favorite holiday. It's a different Thanksgiving for sure (like I've never had a Thanksgiving where I don't have to wear a jacket), and I'm missing cooking and spending time with my family, but it's also fun to share Thanksgiving with people from around the world.

I will miss the pumpkin pie, though. So I've already made my mother promise I can have one at Christmas.

No comments: