Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting in the Christmas spirit

It's been really hard for me to believe that Christmas is fast approaching when I sweat almost every time I walk outdoors. December just doesn't seem like December without gloves and scarves and waiting for snow. But yesterday we had our school Christmas pageant. We sang "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "Joy to the World" and "Silent Night," and it started to feel like Christmas. I loved watching my kids up on stage--three of my goofballs playing the shepherds with comic flair, a girl who seemed shy in class as the angel Gabriel, and a kid whose incredible singing voice I never suspected playing Joseph. I was proud of them.

After the pageant, we had a reception in the cafeteria with an open stage where kids were singing "White Christmas" and "Feliz Navidad," which made me laugh since snow and people who speak Spanish are pretty much unknown to Indonesia. And then we were done for the year. I don't leave until next Saturday, so I'll do some Christmas shopping and wrapping this week. If you thought that living in the world's most populous Muslim country would protect me from the American commercialization of Christmas, you were wrong. I saw fake Christmas trees being sold at the mall in early November, lines are longer, and I hear classics like "All I Want for Christmas Is You" while shopping.

The "I'm-still-getting-used-to-being-a-teacher" moment of the day: I ran into a student at the gym. It could have been worse. I could have been sweating, out of breath, and red-faced, or it could have been an unfriendly student, but I was just getting on the treadmill when one of the sweet ones came up to say hello. I've forgotten how interesting it was to see teachers out of context. I couldn't have been much more out of context. At school, most days I wear a uniform--blue skirt, white blouse, dark shoes, makeup--but today I was wearing yoga pants, running shoes, and my high school gym class t-shirt. It shouldn't feel weird to see students outside of school, and it's happened before, but sometimes it still does.

If you're interested in knowing, I'm flying out of Jakarta on Saturday, December 20, and I'll be flying through Singapore and Hong Kong before I get to Chicago the next day. I'm meeting my family and driving from Chicago, so I'll be in Indianapolis from about the 21/22 of December to January 5.

Things I'm looking forward to when I go home: singing Christmas songs, snow (hopefully!), sweaters, Christmas lights, seeing friends, seeing family, being cold, cooking with my mother, Christmas services, my room, taking walks around my neighborhood, driving myself around, streets without traffic, drinking tap water, living with other people, using a washer and dryer instead of a bucket and a clothesline, making mincemeat pie, and having a fire in the fireplace.

God bless us, every one.

3 comments:

Jack Mail said...

I am doing my part to encourage snow for Christmas. No missed days playing White Christmas since 12/2/08

Ran said...

I was just thinking about that. Not that I've ever enjoyed your snow music, but I've heard about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Snow and winds in Chicago, ice and rain already in Indianapolis. I think you are going to fulfill your Christmas wish for weather variety! We're so glad you're home for the holidays, Laura!