Thursday, March 19, 2009

Upcoming plans

Spring break is next week. Well, I call it spring break because it's in March, but since Midwestern seasons don't really count here, I think it's more accurately "midterm break." Regardless, in the long tradition of spring breaks, I'm taking a trip to a tropical location for some fun and relaxation. In the road less traveled of spring breaks, I'm going with a student's family. We're headed to Kalimantan, also known as Borneo. Here's the (very short) list of what I know about Kalimantan:

1. It's Indonesia's largest island (3rd largest in the world, apparently), and Indonesia shares it with Malaysia and Brunei.
2. It was part of the Pacific arena of World War II, and I'm proud to have a little family history in that realm.
3. Kalimantan's rainforests are being destroyed rather quickly (along with the homes of the people who live there) to make room for palm oil plantations. You can thank Unilever.
4. I'm excited to go, so I have a load of clothes in the laundry tonight, I've called a taxi to take me to the airport, and my camera battery is charging. Expect a picture post soon!

And that means that I have a lot to get done tomorrow to be ready to leave. I collected a video project on Monday, study guides on Tuesday, and I already had a traffic jam of work to assess on my desk. Fortunately, this week has been much more relaxed because of a computer competition at our school, so I've had some time to get caught up on grading and planning.

And finally:
Correct answer on Animal Farm quiz:
No animal may sleep in a bed with sheets.
Favorite student answer on Animal Farm quiz:
No animal may sleep in a bed with sheep.

No comments: