Thursday, July 17, 2008

This is the week when I've started to notice all the little things that I have to get used to. Things like:

1. My hair will always be a little on the frizzy side here.

2. The sun always goes down at 6 o'clock.

3. Cars drive on the left side of the road, so I need to make sure I'm looking the right way when I cross the street.

4. Shopping will always more difficult than I think it will be.



Actually, a lot of things turn out to be more difficult than I think they will be. Like going to the bank this week. Fortunately the woman who opened my account spoke fairly good English, but I had a terrible time trying to deposit my US dollars into the account because 1) I had fifty dollar bills instead of hundred dollar bills, and when I had exchanged them for hundred dollar bills at the money exchanger next door, 2) my hundred dollar bills didn't have the right serial number. Not all cash is equal here.



Yesterday, I had my first day of classes, so I met all of my students. I have around 115 students in grade 11, and I don't think I'm going to learn all of their names before Christmas. Fortunately, their names are mostly Western-sounding names, so pronunciation shouldn't be a problem. They call me Miss Laura (all teachers are addressed by first name here), and they seemed interested in me--I fielded a number of questions about my romantic status--, so I'm excited to jump into teaching. The first book we're reading is Animal Farm, so it should be interesting, particularly in a country where the government is often corrupt.



Favorite student comment of the day: "Miss, you look like a Barbie." Which made me laugh.



Fun fact to know and tell about Indonesia: Like many Indonesians, some of my students have only one name, and it's not always a particularly unique one (like Ryan or Kevin). This makes it really difficult to tell them apart when their only name is the same as someone else's. I am newly grateful for my three names: Laura Elizabeth Mail does not get mixed up with anyone.

No comments: