Sunday, July 12, 2009

From Singapore

This is the third time that I've had an overnight layover in Singapore in my travels to and from Jakarta. I don't like it.

That's not to say that Singapore airport isn't nice. I'm using its free wireless Internet, sitting near the koi pond, which is not far away from a butterfly garden. They have a movie theater upstairs that shows movies 24/7, "art interactive zones" where you can make your own art (I did some wood rubbings the last time I was here), and comfy sitting areas galore, including leg-massaging chairs. Right across from me is "The World's Largest 103-inch 1080p HD Plasma Display," which made me laugh. If I wanted to, I could take a shower, work out, enjoy the rooftop jacuzzi, get a haircut, or (after 6am) shop in one of dozens of designer brand stores. I even found a powder room this time, which always conjures up luxurious visions of ladies chitchatting and re-applying lipstick in 1960s era ballroom gowns while their dates get them champagne at the charity ball.

But, the layover does get lonely. And that's always the worst part of traveling for me: not having anyone to talk to. Though perhaps I got what I wanted when I sat next to an overly talkative man from San Francisco to Seoul and again from Seoul to Singapore (we just stopped briefly in Seoul, so we had the same flight number and the same seats for both flights). He was also a leaner. I will admit to being squirmy, particularly when I'm trying to find the least uncomfortable position for sleeping, so Talkative Neighbor put up the arm rest, so I could get a little more room. But when he started leaning on me (in a way that seemed a little heavy for a stranger) for his own sleeping position, I thought we needed to re-establish social boundaries, so I put the arm rest back down. Problem solved.

So in Singapore, I'll walk around a bit, check my email, finish reading my book, maybe explore some of the cool things at the airport, but mostly I'll be looking forward to getting home to life in Jakarta. In particular, I'm looking forward to meeting a new American teacher who's about my age. We've corresponded a little by email, and she seems nice, so my fingers are crossed for friendship.

Best part about my trip so far: hearing a preschooler singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" from the back of the plane.

Second best part: ice cream sandwich.

1 comment:

Ran said...

how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high.
Like a diamond in sky.
Twinkle, Twinkle little star...