Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Apartment Complex Giveth...And the Apartment Complex Taketh Away

When I moved in here, the apartment complex provided basic linens for me, and my kitchen was supplied with bowls, plates, teacups, silverware, and glasses in multiples of three along with the necessary cooking vessels and utensils. There might have been whispers that my use of these items was temporary, but when I didn't hear anything more from the apartment office about it, I figured I'd have this stuff for as long as I'm here.

UNTIL...Saturday morning when I got a knock on the door from two women who said they were here to take the stuff back. What? And I don't even get a warning call? I told them that it wasn't a good time, but we rescheduled for Monday. When they came back, they packed "my" dishes into "my" pillowcases but were kind enough to leave "my" dishrack and "my" frying pan. They also remembered to take the ash tray that I had nearly forgotten I had.

So until I go out and get some new kitchen stuff, I've been eating out of my tupperware with a cereal box spoon and a fork I got at a funeral (long story). Which makes me laugh enough that I'm not rushing out to buy dishes and silverware.

Another kitchen update: The Hanukkah miracle is finally over. I had to replace the gas cannister a couple of weeks ago. And of course, it petered out just as I was boasting to Carol about how long it had lasted.

An update having nothing to do with my kitchen: I had a really good day of teaching today. :)

2 comments:

Ran said...

Good bye, fair kitchen stuff. It was so kind of you to stay. Come back soon.

love, Ran

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but I am a month or two behind. And I can't stop laughing at this one! I am glad you could understand their language when they explained what they were there for - can you imagine how much worse it would have been if not?! Have you replenished your kitchen and linen items by now? Love, Aunt Debra