Friday, September 25, 2009

Hong Kong: The Beginning

I averted a crisis today. Somehow I banged up my camera enough in Hong Kong that it wouldn't upload the pictures to my computer, but a trip to the mall and a multi-language technology consultation mostly fixed it. That means I finally have pictures to share, but so many that I think I'll break it up into several posts. I still have some time before I go back to school next week, so look for lots of Hong Kong pictures this weekend.

While I was in Hong Kong, it was hard not to compare it with Jakarta. For starters, if Jakarta is more horizontal--both geographically and architecturally,--then Hong Kong is all vertical with hills and high-rises everywhere.And if there's a sort of sleepy charm to my neighborhood in the evening, then Hong Kong is all hustle and bustle, with hustle early every morning and bustle until late late late at night.

If you're ever in Hong Kong, I highly recommend the Octopus card, which gets you on any of the public transportation systems in Hong Kong.

(The logo is what's blurry, not my picture of it). And with the excellent public transportation, it was easier than falling down to find my way from here to there. Here's how I got around the city:

MTR (or Mass Transit Railway. I went everywhere on this thing)

Double decker buses and taxis (the red and white taxis are way more expensive than Jakarta's Bluebirds so I mostly avoided them. I really like riding in the top of the double decker bus, though)

Tram (to the Peak for great views of the city)

Ferry (from Hong Kong Island to the mainland)
You've seen how I got there.
Next time: where I went.

1 comment:

Ran said...

Ooooo, a themed photo post. I want more pictures now. Right now.

P.S. Way to hook us in.