Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hong Kong: Town and Country

When you think of Hong Kong, it's the city that comes to mind first, and I saw plenty of interesting city sights.

Street views:
(The little red spider-like symbol on the blue sign tells you that there's an MTR station nearby.)

View from my bedroom window:


But I was also pleasantly surprised to find that there are some not-city parts of Hong Kong to discover.

Stanley and its beach are at the end of a 45-60 minute bus ride from the central business district.
To get to the wetlands park, take the MTR and a light rail line. Yes, I know that a wetlands park doesn't seem like much of a tourist destination (to people not raised by my parents). The ranger told me so.

(This shot might lead you erroneously to think that I have a spectacular telephoto lens or bird whispering abilities. Not so. I was however, able to manage a skillful combination of binoculars and camera.)

This bronze Buddha statue is out at the end of an MTR line. I was hoping to take a cable car to the top of the hill, but the cable car was under repair, so I went by bus instead, passing through some beautiful countryside on the way.
If only that trash can had been about three feet to the left...


Of course, it's a mistake to think that you can really away from the city in Hong Kong.

Stanley Beach:

Wetlands park:
Next time: day markets and night markets.

1 comment:

Ran said...

I love the "telephoto" picture. Way to be creative. You could photo shop the trash can out, you know. I love that you went to a wetlands. We always go to the grocery store. Can't wait for the next installment.

Love.