Monday, September 28, 2009

Hong Kong: The weird and wonderful

What would a trip in Asia be if not an opportunity to take pictures of things that baffle and confound?

Ok, the first two aren't from HK, but I did allude to them, so here's the Malaysian square toilet and the Man in Red.

And on to Hong Kong oddities!

On a wall along a street:

Parable of the ten virgins anyone?

This picture doesn't seem that strange (well, except for the half a zebra)

until you zoom in.
It reads:
"most important thing
laprotect natural from
environmental disinplio
Don't worry broke to every!
Life comes first"

Indeed. It wouldn't be fair to post that example of mangled English without also mentioning that this week I found a blog chronicling misuse of Chinese characters, often in the form of tattoos. Ouch.

This isn't so strange as interesting. Ever wondered how Chinese characters work on those dot-light signs?

Me neither. Until now.

Yes, I already put up a picture of the giant Buddha, but I didn't point out that it has a swastika on its chest.


Did I mention that the statue is not even twenty years old? This sent me researching to find out more about the history of the swastika, and it made me realize that the symbol is not so taboo outside Western culture.

And finally, my favorite night market stall sold...

...rows and rows of fake hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura - Thank you for the virtual trip you took me on this evening to Hong Kong! I really enjoy your blog and admire your positive and Godly outlook on life in all parts of the world! You're always in my prayers, Love Aunt Debra

Sarahhh said...

These pictures are so China :) Look at all that red! And the square toilet...how did it feel sitting on it?

:)